A Senior Piping Designer with 3D skills earns an average wage of $54.09 per hour.
Job Description for Senior Piping Designer
Senior piping designers work primarily for facilities which oversee oil refining, manufacturing, and chemical processing, though their work is also important for water, gas, and other infrastructure. Senior piping designers are needed in both the industrial and residential world, and often work for consulting companies which provide services to multiple companies and facilities.Read More...
Senior piping designers generally operate CAD software to design drawings for piping; sometimes, they must create new piping systems, while at other times they must improve already-existing structures. They must always stay up-to-date with new developments in their field in order to create the most effective piping designs, and they may also be in charge of carrying out feasibility testing and estimates.
Senior piping designers are often given budgets, and must carry out projects within these constraints and ensure that designs adhere to environmental regulations. Although much of the work in this position is done on the computer, some on-field exploration may be necessary for duties such as technical research. In-depth knowledge of pipe workings, such as the various types of pipes, their fittings, valves, support mechanisms, and insulation, is very important in this position, and knowledge of the equipment used to install piping is essential to determine feasibility. A minimum of a bachelor’s degree in engineering is generally required, and some employers may require a master’s degree. (Copyright 2018 PayScale.com)
Senior Piping Designer Tasks
- Prepare preliminary layouts, while addressing economic issues and material requirements.
- Gathers the necessary data, reference drawings, field notes, measurements, operation's needs, vendor data, etc.
- Estimate project drawing count, including types of drawings required by discipline, detail drawings and diagrams required.
- Perform preliminary design calculations for piping stress.
- Complete mathematical, algebraic and trigonometric calculations.