Avg. Base Hourly Rate (USD)
The average hourly pay for a Special Education Assistant is $10.48
What Do Special Education Assistants Do?
A special education assistant aids a teacher in a special education class, usually in an elementary, middle, or high school setting. Some classes deal with students who have mental disabilities, while others are children who need help in specific areas such as speech therapy or English as a second language. Sometimes this position involves assisting in a full-time special education classroom. Other times the position involves helping out students in classes where the students will attend for a …Read more
- Institute specialized therapeutic programs for students under the direction of their therapist and/or classroom teacher.
- Foster positive relationships with families and support student learning by clearly communicating in-class progress and development.
- Implement behavior intervention policies to ensure classroom safety for students and faculty.
- Assist teachers in planning and preparation for individual and group classroom activities.
- Assist students with personal care, hygiene, meals, and drinks.