The average hourly pay for an Entry-Level Surgical Technologist with General Surgery skills in Chicago, Illinois is $19.00.
Is Surgical Technologist your job title? Find out what you should be paid
Use our tool to get a personalized report on your market worth.What's this?
$16 - $20
$33,397 - $41,839
Find your market worth – how it works:
Tell us about your job and pay factors like skills and education
Find your market worth with a report tailored to you
Negotiate your pay with confidence
Job Description for Surgical Technologist
A surgical technologist is present within the operation room and provides help to surgeons, nurses, and anesthesiologists. The technologist will hand necessary instruments to the surgeon, so that the surgery can be more easily be performed. It is important to be able to anticipate which devices the surgeon will use, so that no time is lost. Certain equipment may also be monitored by the technologist, such as machinery relating to the observance of vital signs. Strong knowledge of medical termi…Read more
Surgical Technologist Tasks
- Inspect, maintain, decontaminate, and repair surgical equipment, keeping inventory records up to date.
- Conduct pre- and post-surgery patient care, including shaving, transporting, and applying dressings.
- Keep all needed surgical equipment at the ready, including sterile linens, saline, lights, suction machines, etc.
- Set up and maintain surgical field, collaborating with nurses and doctors and assisting where required.
- Assemble, transport, and retrieve surgical equipment, ensuring all pieces leave the room.
Surgical Technologist Job Listings
Search for more jobs
Pay by Experience Level for Surgical Technologist
An early career Surgical Technologist with 1-4 years of experience earns an average total compensation (includes tips, bonus, and overtime pay) of $19.49 based on 6 salaries. A mid-career Surgical Technologist with 5-9 years of experience earns an average total compensation of $22.42 based on 6 salaries. An experienced Surgical Technologist with 10-19 years of experience earns an average total compensation of $22.51 based on 9 salaries. In their late career (20 years and higher), employees earn an average total compensation of $28.
Pay Difference by Location
Learn more about cost of living by city.
Years of Experience
This data is based on 27 survey responses.
Related Job Salaries
$23 - $41
$12 - $22
$11 - $19
$16 - $26
$31 - $50
$10 - $16
$40 - $71