What Do Surgical Technologists Do?
A surgical technologist is present within the operation room and provides help to surgeons, nurses, and anesthesiologists. The technologist will hand necessary instruments to the surgeon, so that the surgery can be more easily be performed. It is important to be able to anticipate which devices the surgeon will use, so that no time is lost. Certain equipment may also be monitored by the technologist, such as machinery relating to the observance of vital signs.
Strong knowledge of medical termi…Read more
- Inspect, maintain, decontaminate, and repair surgical equipment, keeping inventory records up to date.
- Conduct pre- and post-surgery patient care, including shaving, transporting, and applying dressings.
- Keep all needed surgical equipment at the ready, including sterile linens, saline, lights, suction machines, etc.
- Set up and maintain surgical field, collaborating with nurses and doctors and assisting where required.
- Assemble, transport, and retrieve surgical equipment, ensuring all pieces leave the room.