The average hourly pay for a Surgical Technologist in Richmond, Virginia is $19.00.
Is Surgical Technologist your job title? Get a personalized salary report!
$13 - $27
$20,426 - $58,745
Your Market Worth Over Time
How has your pay changed over time for your market? Find out by taking our salary quiz.
Job Description for Surgical Technologist
A surgical technologist is present within the operation room and provides help to surgeons, nurses, and anesthesiologists. The technologist will hand necessary instruments to the surgeon, so that the surgery can be more easily be performed. It is important to be able to anticipate which devices the surgeon will use, so that no time is lost. Certain equipment may also be monitored by the technologist, such as machinery relating to the observance of vital signs. Strong knowledge of medical termi…Read more
Surgical Technologist Tasks
- Inspect, maintain, decontaminate, and repair surgical equipment, keeping inventory records up to date.
- Conduct pre- and post-surgery patient care, including shaving, transporting, and applying dressings.
- Keep all needed surgical equipment at the ready, including sterile linens, saline, lights, suction machines, etc.
- Set up and maintain surgical field, collaborating with nurses and doctors and assisting where required.
- Assemble, transport, and retrieve surgical equipment, ensuring all pieces leave the room.
Explore the most common career paths for Surgical Technologist. Thickness and color of lines indicates how common a path is.
More common (> 20%)
Somewhat common (8 - 20%)
Less common (< 8%)
Surgical Technologist Job Listings
Popular Skills for Surgical Technologist
Avg. Hourly Rate
Skills in General Surgery and Orthopedics are correlated to pay that is above average. Skills that pay less than market rate include Surgery.
Pay Difference by Location
Learn more about cost of living by city.
Employees with Surgical Technologist in their job title in New York, New York earn an average of 41.6% more than the national average. These job titles also find higher than average salaries in Los Angeles, California (35.7% more) and San Diego, California (34.1% more).
Years of Experience
This data is based on 5 survey responses.
Related Job Salaries
$22 - $41
$11 - $21
$11 - $19
$16 - $25
$30 - $50
$10 - $16
$40 - $71