The average hourly pay for an Early-Career Surgical Technologist with Surgery skills in Houston, Texas is $20.11.
Is Surgical Technologist your job title? Find out what you should be paid
Use our tool to get a personalized report on your market worth.
$15 - $28
$31,429 - $58,674
Your Market Worth Over Time
How has your pay changed over time for your market? Find out by taking our salary quiz.
Job Description for Surgical Technologist
A surgical technologist is present within the operation room and provides help to surgeons, nurses, and anesthesiologists. The technologist will hand necessary instruments to the surgeon, so that the surgery can be more easily be performed. It is important to be able to anticipate which devices the surgeon will use, so that no time is lost. Certain equipment may also be monitored by the technologist, such as machinery relating to the observance of vital signs. Strong knowledge of medical termi…Read more
Surgical Technologist Tasks
- Inspect, maintain, decontaminate, and repair surgical equipment, keeping inventory records up to date.
- Conduct pre- and post-surgery patient care, including shaving, transporting, and applying dressings.
- Keep all needed surgical equipment at the ready, including sterile linens, saline, lights, suction machines, etc.
- Set up and maintain surgical field, collaborating with nurses and doctors and assisting where required.
- Assemble, transport, and retrieve surgical equipment, ensuring all pieces leave the room.
Surgical Technologist Job Listings
Search for more jobs
Popular Skills for Surgical Technologist
Avg. Hourly Rate
Skills that pay less than market rate include Robotics, Orthopedics, Gynecology, Urology and General Surgery.
Pay by Experience Level for Surgical Technologist
A mid-career Surgical Technologist with 5-9 years of experience earns an average total compensation (includes tips, bonus, and overtime pay) of $23.40 based on 9 salaries. An experienced Surgical Technologist with 10-19 years of experience earns an average total compensation of $29.24 based on 18 salaries.
Pay Difference by Location
Learn more about cost of living by city.
Employees with Surgical Technologist in their job title in New York, New York earn an average of 35.7% more than the national average. The lowest salaries can be found in Birmingham, Alabama (21.1% less), Savannah, Georgia (19.4% less) and Tampa, Florida (12.7% less).
Years of Experience
This data is based on 27 survey responses.
Related Job Salaries
$23 - $41
$12 - $22
$11 - $19
$16 - $26
$31 - $50
$10 - $16
$40 - $72