The average hourly pay for an Early-Career Security Guard in South Africa is R16.92.
Is Security Guard your job title? Find out what you should be paid
Use our tool to get a personalized report on your market worth.What's this?
R13 - R21
R201 - R6,953
R2 - R6,061
R25,390 - R58,729
Your Market Worth Over Time
How has your pay changed over time for your market? Find out by taking our salary quiz.
Job Description for Security Guard
Security guards provide low-level protection for companies and organizations which usually involves patrolling the premises, either by foot or in a company vehicle (of course, a valid driver’s license is required in order to drive company vehicles). Security guards patrol for suspicious or dangerous activity that might be detrimental to the safety of the facility or any people present. If a person at or in the facility is in violation of particular rules or policies, the guard must correct the s…Read more
Security Guard Tasks
- Guard and monitor premises to prevent theft, property destruction, violence or rules and safety violations.
- Perform fire prevention, safety and maintenance tasks and parking/traffic enforcement.
- Greet incoming guests and tenants, providing information regarding the site and surrounding area as requested by visitors.
- Respond to alarms and emergency situations.
- Make periodic tours to check for irregularities and to inspect protection devices and fire control equipment.
Security Guard Job Listings
Search for more jobs
Pay by Experience Level for Security Guard
An entry-level Security Guard with less than 1 year experience can expect to earn an average total compensation (includes tips, bonus, and overtime pay) of R16.49 based on 41 salaries. A mid-career Security Guard with 5-9 years of experience earns an average total compensation of R17.59 based on 216 salaries. An experienced Security Guard with 10-19 years of experience earns an average total compensation of R19.04 based on 100 salaries. In their late career (20 years and higher), employees earn an average total compensation of R19.
Years of Experience
This data is based on 374 survey responses.