Information technology (IT) directors of program management are in charge of effectively managing a variety of IT-related projects for their organization. They lead a team of systems professionals to reach all organizational goals, and one of their main responsibilities includes organizing and overseeing all projects in the IT department. They also ensure the efficient use of company resources, as well as the secure operation of information systems. They implement IT initiatives that improve the effectiveness of their company's products or services. These directors prepare departmental budgets, as well as evaluate new equipment as needed. IT directors of program management also complete administrative tasks and compile reports that detail program activity. They generally report their progress to the president or manager in their department.
A bachelor's degree in computer science, computer systems management, or a related field is required for this job. In addition, previous experience in a managerial capacity and industry certifications may be preferred. IT directors of program management should also possess strong leadership skills and have experience interacting with and guiding IT professionals. In addition, they should be able to multitask on a variety of projects and create strategic plans. They must work well independently and in a team setting, as well as be familiar with several programming languages and networking practices. They should also have an advanced understanding of desktop support and vendor interaction.
Director of Program Management, Information Technology (IT) Tasks
- Identify and propose new information technologies and systems to improve business processes and decision making.
- Plan, direct, and coordinate activities of a multi-team or cross-functional organization.
- Plan, direct, and coordinate the development.
- Hire, review, and fire managers.
- Work with the IT steering committee to establish the strategic direction of the Company's information systems as well as executing the strategy.