Occupational Therapy Aide Salary
An Occupational Therapy Aide earns an average wage of $12.01 per hour.
Job Description for Occupational Therapy Aide
Occupational therapy aides usually work under the supervision of an occupational therapist or therapist’s assistant in order to help patients develop or regain the physical skills to maintain a good standard of living or enter or return to the work field. Many patients have physical problems which were caused by accidents or degeneration over time.Read More...
Patients are usually evaluated by the occupational therapist or other staff member, including reviewing patients' medical histories and measuring the severity of motor impairment. The therapist will then establish a treatment plan and goals for the patient, and treatment will be administered by the physical therapist and occupational therapy aide. This job can be physically strenuous, as the aide may have to bend, stoop, walk, and stand for long periods of time, as well as assist patients with mobility. They may also demonstrate exercises for patients, so it's important to be in good physical health.
This job is usually carried out in a hospital or private practice, and strong customer service skills are important so that patients are satisfied and return for future services. It is also important to be friendly and motivating in order to encourage patients to achieve success. A high school diploma is a minimum requirement for this position, but the work is often entry-level, so prior experience is not strictly required. Basic life support certification may also be required.
Occupational Therapy Aide Tasks
- Observe and document patients' progress, attitudes and behavior and report to supervisor.
- Perform clerical duties; take inventory, order and stock supplies, answer telephone, take messages and complete forms.
- Supervise patients in choosing and completing work details or arts and crafts projects.
- Prepare, clean and maintain work area and maintain inventory of treatment and educational supplies.
- Under close supervision of an occupational therapist or assistant perform select tasks in preparing the patient, administering treatment therapy and maintaining treatment area.
Occupational Therapy Aide Job Listings
Search for more jobs:
Key Stats for Occupational Therapy Aide