The average salary for a Penetration Tester in Canada is C$67,563.
Is Penetration Tester your job title? Find out what you should be paid
Use our tool to get a personalized report on your market worth.
C$40k - C$97k
C$1k - C$20k
C$40k - C$147k
Your Market Worth Over Time
How has your pay changed over time for your market? Find out by taking our salary quiz.
Job Description for Penetration Tester
The integrity of internal systems connected with the wider Internet is crucial to the operations of many organizations, from financial institutions to health care companies to government agencies. Organizations often employ cybersecurity experts to help protect their vital systems from malicious attacks. One of the basic tasks that must be accomplished to secure a system is to find where vulnerabilities exist. The penetration tester uses a wide variety of tools (some of which may be self-constru…Read more
Penetration Tester Tasks
- Conduct IT/Cyber Security assessments / penetration tests (hands-on work), as an individual, self-managed tester, or in small project teams.
- Work with customers to determine their need for security assessments, present and explain the employed methodology, and support them with feedback and verification during mitigation.
- Document findings for management and technical staff and recommend mitigating actions.
- Follow industry best practice methodologies for penetration testing, and be able to use tools for a basis level assessment.
- Search for security vulnerabilities in web applications, fat/thin client applications, and standard applications, and assess the secure configuration of operating systems and network devices.
Job Satisfaction for Penetration Tester
Penetration Tester Job Listings
Search for more jobs
Popular Skills for Penetration Tester
Security Testing and Auditing
Web Security & Encryption
Skills in Vulnerability Assessment are correlated to pay that is above average. Skills that pay less than market rate include Web Security & Encryption, Cyber Security, Security Testing and Auditing and Penetration Testing.
Pay by Experience Level for Penetration Tester
An entry-level Penetration Tester with less than 1 year experience can expect to earn an average total compensation (includes tips, bonus, and overtime pay) of C$50,980 based on 10 salaries. An early career Penetration Tester with 1-4 years of experience earns an average total compensation of C$76,363 based on 23 salaries. A mid-career Penetration Tester with 5-9 years of experience earns an average total compensation of C$79,408 based on 9 salaries. An experienced Penetration Tester with 10-19 years of experience earns an average total compensation of C$152,605 based on 3 salaries.
Pay Difference by Location
Learn more about cost of living by city.
Employees with Penetration Tester in their job title in Toronto, Ontario earn an average of 30.9% more than the national average. These job titles also find higher than average salaries in Ottawa, Ontario (19.1% more). The lowest salaries can be found in Montréal, Québec (14.9% less).
Years of Experience
This data is based on 45 survey responses.
Related Job Salaries
C$44k - C$90k
C$49k - C$114k
C$46k - C$97k
C$57k - C$110k
C$83k - C$140k
C$77k - C$122k
C$68k - C$118k
C$45k - C$88k
C$57k - C$108k