Avg. Base Hourly Rate (USD)
The average hourly pay for a Bailiff is $17.14
What is the Pay by Experience Level for Bailiffs?
An entry-level Bailiff with less than 1 year experience can expect to earn an average total compensation (includes tips, bonus, and overtime pay) of $15.00 based on 8 salaries. An early career Bailiff with 1-4 years of experience earns an average total compensation of $15.17 based on 24 salaries. A mid-career Bailiff with 5-9 …Read more
What Do Bailiffs Do?
A bailiff works in a court and maintains order in a courtroom. When the judge enters the courtroom, the bailiff must announce the judge’s arrival. The bailiff should make sure that the courtroom is clean and that the temperature is appropriate.
Usher duties are also performed by the bailiff, as jurors, witnesses, and spectators are instructed where to sit. Prior to, during, and after the trial, the bailiff will escort files, forms, and supplies to the judge. When individuals present in the …Read more
- Escort judges, defendants, witnesses, and jury to assigned areas within courtroom.
- Call court to order and announce judge's entrance.
- Guard sequestered juries, preventing outside contact.
- Maintain order during trials, enforcing rules, making arrests, and taking emergency action.
- Patrol interior and exterior of courthouse, monitor individuals entering and exiting courtroom, and inspect packages.