The average salary for a Botanist is $49,974.
Tell us about your job and pay factors like skills and education Find your market worth with a report tailored to you Negotiate your pay with confidence
What Do Botanists Do?
Botanists study various aspects of plant biology. Most of the time they have a strong desire to want to understand all that they can about plants. They study the relationship between plants, the environment, and other living organisms. They also study fungi and algae. A botanist can choose from many different types of plants to study. In addition to studying plants, botanists do inventory and investigate conditions for botanical projects including restoration, conversation, mitigation, and moni…Read more
- Study, inventory, and investigate conditions for botanical projects including restoration, conversation, mitigation, and monitoring of selected populations.
- Survey for threatened, endangered, sensitive, and rare plants.
- Conduct and prepare analysis, reports, and environmental impact reports for the National Environmental Policy Act, agencies, and governments.
- Identify and classify plants.
- Investigate environment and plant communities and the effect of rainfall, temperature, climate, soil, and elevation on plant growth.
Job Satisfaction for Botanist
What Are Popular Skills for Botanists?
Skills in Environmental Consulting, Geographic Information Systems (GIS), Taxonomy and Plant Maintenance are correlated to pay that is above average. Skills that pay less than market rate include Microsoft Excel.
What is the Pay by Experience Level for Botanists?
An early career Botanist with 1-4 years of experience earns an average total compensation (includes tips, bonus, and overtime pay) of $40,695 based on 22 salaries. A mid-career Botanist with 5-9 years of experience earns an average total compensation of $57,000 based on 9 salaries. An experienced Botanist with 10-19 years of experience earns an average total compensation of $52,148 based on 12 salaries. In their late career (20 years and higher), employees earn an average total compensation of $56,500.
Years of Experience
This data is based on 50 survey responses.