Avg. Base Hourly Rate (USD)
The average hourly pay for a Fiber Optic Technician is $17.88
What is the Pay by Experience Level for Fiber Optic Technicians?
An early career Fiber Optic Technician with 1-4 years of experience earns an average total compensation (includes tips, bonus, and overtime pay) of $19.56 based on 263 salaries. A mid-career Fiber Optic Technician with 5-9 years of experience earns an average total compensation of $23.17 based on 141 salaries. An experienced …Read more
What Do Fiber Optic Technicians Do?
A fiber optic technician generally works in the telecommunications industry. They install fiber optic cables, which are used to carry Internet, telephone, and television connections/services. Technicians perform their job duties inside and outside of homes and buildings, installing new cables and repairing and maintaining existing cables. Fiber optic technicians are responsible for troubleshooting and correcting any problems that may arise. Customer interaction can also play a large role in …Read more
- Install, troubleshoot, and maintain fiber optic systems.
- May create sensors and perform optical inspections.
- Measure signal strength to ensure adequate performance.
- Run fiber optic cables underground or underwater, and perform premises cabling.
- Conduct regular inspections of fiber optic systems, and locate and repair defects.