Avg. Base Hourly Rate (USD)
The average hourly pay for a General Contractor is $30.04
What is the Pay by Experience Level for General Contractors?
An entry-level General Contractor with less than 1 year experience can expect to earn an average total compensation (includes tips, bonus, and overtime pay) of $15.43 based on 26 salaries. An early career General Contractor with 1-4 years of experience earns an average total compensation of $18.69 based on 338 salaries. A …Read more
What Do General Contractors Do?
A general contractor oversees a variety of construction projects. Normally, the contractor is called in when someone wants to create a new building for business or residential purposes; however, contractors may also work in remodeling and renovation of existing structures as well. The general contractor assesses the work to be done and directs various construction crews to accomplish these tasks.
One of the chief skills of a general contractor is an ability to accurately estimate the costs of …Read more
- Generate cost estimates for labor, materials, equipment, and permits necessary to complete a project.
- Plan and manage a construction project, coordinating labor, materials, and equipment, hire and supervise subcontractors.
- Make sure all government regulations are followed, proper permits are obtained, and required inspections carried out.
- Monitor project progress to ensure it stays on time and within budget.
- Negotiate contract terms with clients and work with clients and architects to create project plans.