The average salary for a Law Firm Partner is $182,126.
Tell us about your job and pay factors like skills and education Find your market worth with a report tailored to you Negotiate your pay with confidence
What Do Law Firm Partners Do?
A law firm partner is a joint owner of their firm and helps oversee its day-to-day operations. They directly supervise the firm’s legal and technical support teams, coordinate logistics for new cases, and manage budgets and vendor relationships. Other duties of a law firm partner include handling numerous cases simultaneously, interacting with lawyers within the firm to provide advice and guidance, managing payroll, and hiring clerks. These professionals also implement initiatives in the office …Read more
Law Firm Partner Tasks
- Advise clients in business transactions, claim liability, advisability of prosecuting or defending lawsuits or legal rights and obligations.
- Select jurors, argue motions, meet with judges, and question witnesses during the course of a trial.
- Analyze and interpret laws, rulings, and regulations with probable case outcomes for individuals and businesses.
- Represent clients in court or before government agencies, present and summarize cases to judges and juries.
- Gather evidence to formulate defense or to initiate legal actions; evaluate findings and develop strategies and arguments for presentation of cases.
Job Satisfaction for Law Firm Partner
Popular Employer Salaries for Law Firm Partner
Law Firm Partner Job Listings
What Are Popular Skills for Law Firm Partners?
Skills in Complex Litigation Case Management and Contract Negotiation are correlated to pay that is above average. Skills that pay less than market rate include Strategic Marketing, Litigation Case Management and Client Interaction.
What is the Pay by Experience Level for Law Firm Partners?
An early career Law Firm Partner with 1-4 years of experience earns an average total compensation (includes tips, bonus, and overtime pay) of $116,264 based on 18 salaries. A mid-career Law Firm Partner with 5-9 years of experience earns an average total compensation of $144,962 based on 102 salaries. An experienced Law Firm Partner with 10-19 years of experience earns an average total compensation of $181,576 based on 392 salaries. In their late career (20 years and higher), employees earn an average total compensation of $213,270.
Pay Difference by Location
Employees with Law Firm Partner in their job title in New York, New York earn an average of 38.1% more than the national average. These job titles also find higher than average salaries in Washington, District of Columbia (36.0% more) and Los Angeles, California (19.9% more). The lowest salaries can be found in Chicago, Illinois (14.1% less) and Miami, Florida (11.2% less).
Years of Experience
This data is based on 772 survey responses.