What Do Machinists Do?
Machinists make parts and sometimes their own tools in order to build or create larger things. Machinists are often in a factory or manufacturing setting, but not always. Manufacturing experience is important. The Machinist must be capable of working with a variety of tools in sometimes inhospitable conditions. Tools of the trade may include hand tools, cutting tools, measuring tools and machine tools. Machinists must be capable of making their own tools and parts. They also need to be expe…Read more
- Calculate dimensions and tolerances using knowledge of mathematics and instruments.
- Select, align, and secure holding fixtures, cutting tools, attachments, accessories, and materials on machines.
- Operate various types of machine tools to perform progressive machining.
- Measure, examine, and test completed units to detect defects and ensure conformance to specifications.
- Detect malfunctions or out-of-tolerance machining and adjust machine controls as necessary.