Avg. Base Salary (USD)
The average salary for a Materials Scientist is $98,669
What is the Pay by Experience Level for Materials Scientists?
An early career Materials Scientist with 1-4 years of experience earns an average total compensation (includes tips, bonus, and overtime pay) of $89,433 based on 7 salaries. A mid-career Materials Scientist with 5-9 years of experience earns an average total compensation of $101,211 based on 5 salaries.
What Do Materials Scientists Do?
A variety of products - from electronic devices to appliances to prescription drugs to breakfast cereals - are constructed using hundreds or thousands of distinct elements (which themselves may be comprised of several different kinds of materials). The materials scientist examines the chemical properties of natural and man-made materials and finds ways to apply these materials to meet the needs of their company. Materials scientists work to constantly improve the materials and properties of …Read more
- Analyze existing materials and applications to provide solutions and testing for optimization.
- Write grants and proposals to obtain contracts for production.
- Directly interact with clients to demonstrate and show products.
- Develop new compositions or formulas and define specifications for each.
- Follow protocols to produce, test, and package products.