Avg. Base Salary (USD)
The average salary for a News Director is $110,000
What Do News Directors Do?
News directors work primarily for television stations and are tasked with providing strategic direction for their staff, including news anchors, journalists, weather forecasters, sports anchors, and others involved in day-to-day news coverage. They are responsible for the on-air execution of their stations' newscasts, as well as managing content delivery and setting budgets for their department, and they are often involved in hiring and negotiating contracts for their departments' …Read more
- Oversee daily operations, including setting schedules and prioritizing stories.
- Enforce ethical standards and monitor news to ensure high quality.
- Evaluate and ensure a broad coverage of news stories to meet strategic goals.
- Conceptualize and evaluate article pitches to direct creation of news stories.
- Hire staff, train them in standards and evaluate their performance.