Avg. Base Salary (USD)
The average salary for a Principal Scientist is $124,383
What is the Pay by Experience Level for Principal Scientists?
An entry-level Principal Scientist with less than 1 year experience can expect to earn an average total compensation (includes tips, bonus, and overtime pay) of $94,885 based on 25 salaries. An early career Principal Scientist with 1-4 years of experience earns an average total compensation of $106,213 based on 151 salaries. A …Read more
What Do Principal Scientists Do?
Principal scientists lead scientific teams, conducting research and analyzing results. The goals of this research vary according to the field and industry in which the principal scientists are employed. For example, principal scientists working in commercial manufacturing and other fields within the private sector typically look for ways to improve products or create new products or technologies. Principal scientists n academia seek to build on existing knowledge or technology; their aim is …Read more
- Conduct quantitative and qualitative research to improve existing products or develop new ones.
- Coordinate with other departmental team leads to produce effective business solutions, and provide updates to project managers.
- Provide technical guidance on area of expertise and respond to internal and external queries.
- Monitor staff performance and conduct annual performance reviews.
- Lead a team of researchers, and coordinate work activity and training sessions.