Avg. Base Salary (USD)
The average salary for a Product Development Engineer is $90,421
What is the Pay by Experience Level for Product Development Engineers?
An entry-level Product Development Engineer with less than 1 year experience can expect to earn an average total compensation (includes tips, bonus, and overtime pay) of $79,288 based on 6 salaries. An early career Product Development Engineer with 1-4 years of experience earns an average total compensation of $90,254 based on …Read more
What Do Product Development Engineers Do?
Product development engineers are responsible for managing design, prototyping, and testing a product's development. These engineers assess the mechanical design properties of the product and determine if it has met the desired standards and functionality.
Product development engineers must conceptualize ideas, design those ideas in a 3-D modeling program, and specify accurate design properties. They must also be able to plan the steps of going from conceptualization to final product. Before …Read more
- Design, develop, and test processes for producing prototypes and long-term production of products.
- Define quality control criteria and safety guidelines.
- Test products and processes and evaluate results to identify problems and estimate cost of resolutions.
- Produce detailed designs and/or CAD drawings, acting as technical expert on products and processes.
- Analyze and improve existing processes and products, including updating documentation.