Avg. Base Salary (USD)
The average salary for a Psychologist is $79,299
What is the Pay by Experience Level for Psychologists?
An entry-level Psychologist with less than 1 year experience can expect to earn an average total compensation (includes tips, bonus, and overtime pay) of $66,955 based on 80 salaries. An early career Psychologist with 1-4 years of experience earns an average total compensation of $72,549 based on 586 salaries. A mid-career …Read more
What Do Psychologists Do?
Psychologists employ their education and knowledge of the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM-V) to provide diagnostic interviews, psychological testing, and individual and group psychotherapy. They may work as part of a multidisciplinary team, and consult with other professionals regarding patient care. These other professionals vary depending upon the type of psychologist. For instance, a school psychologist may work with teachers, social workers, counselors, and …Read more
- Conduct psychological exams, providing recommendations about courses of treatment and diagnosis.
- Participate in and recruit for applied research in psychology.
- Respond to crises with appropriate interventions and change treatment plans to respond to changing circumstances.
- Administer and interpret psychological tests and measurements, and document results internally and for patients.
- Guide patients through treatment regimens like behavior modification, psychotherapy, and group therapy.