Avg. Base Salary (USD)
The average salary for a Reading Specialist is $53,502
What is the Pay by Experience Level for Reading Specialists?
An entry-level Reading Specialist with less than 1 year experience can expect to earn an average total compensation (includes tips, bonus, and overtime pay) of $43,768 based on 14 salaries. An early career Reading Specialist with 1-4 years of experience earns an average total compensation of $48,785 based on 70 salaries. A …Read more
What Do Reading Specialists Do?
Reading specialists generally work at elementary and middle schools to help students develop their reading skills, and may occasionally work with high school students, as well.
Reading specialists often work with teachers to help them create efficient plans to teach reading skills in the classroom and may sit in on classes to carry out evaluations. They may also have to coach through classroom demonstrations, so strong public speaking skills are highly beneficial. In some positions, the …Read more
- Determine literacy training needs and develop a training course utilizing traditional and non-traditional methods.
- Research and assess literacy training needs, and helps develop or improve literacy curriculum.
- Advocate for and support early literacy knowledge and skills development.
- Build rapport and develop agreements with preschool and family child care programs.
- May mentor or supervise other reading coaches.