The average salary for a Mid-Career Senior Attorney in New York, New York is $112,776.
Is Senior Attorney your job title? Get a personalized salary report!
$74k - $314k
$10k - $50k
$74k - $365k
Your Market Worth Over Time
How has your pay changed over time for your market? Find out by taking our salary quiz.
Job Description for Senior Attorney
A great deal of legal work, including both civil and criminal litigation, is done with teams of lawyers. A senior attorney is the person who helps to manage such teams. He or she is normally a partner in a firm or a high-level specialist retained by one. The senior attorney typically directs the preparations of the team in representing a client. The senior attorney also represents the team when meeting with the legal representatives from the adversarial side of a case. Should the case be argued …Read more
Senior Attorney Tasks
- Advise clients in business transactions, claim liability, advisability of prosecuting or defending lawsuits or legal rights and obligations.
- Select jurors, argue motions, meet with judges, and question witnesses during the course of a trial.
- Analyze and interpret laws, rulings, and regulations with probable case outcomes for individuals and businesses.
- Represent clients in court or before government agencies, present and summarize cases to judges and juries.
- Gather evidence to formulate defense or to initiate legal actions; evaluate findings and develop strategies and arguments for presentation of cases.
Senior Attorney Job Listings
Pay by Experience Level for Senior Attorney
An experienced Senior Attorney with 10-19 years of experience earns an average total compensation (includes tips, bonus, and overtime pay) of $154,839 based on 19 salaries. In their late career (20 years and higher), employees earn an average total compensation of $154,851.
Pay Difference by Location
Learn more about cost of living by city.
Employees with Senior Attorney in their job title in San Francisco, California earn an average of 59.8% more than the national average. These job titles also find higher than average salaries in Boston, Massachusetts (10.7% more) and Philadelphia, Pennsylvania (5.3% more). The lowest salaries can be found in Chicago, Illinois (14.0% less), Atlanta, Georgia (11.3% less) and Los Angeles, California (7.1% less).
Years of Experience
This data is based on 29 survey responses.
Related Job Salaries
$41k - $102k
$50k - $157k
$32k - $70k
$33k - $70k
$49k - $122k
$42k - $76k
$44k - $170k
$34k - $68k
$48k - $111k
$54k - $134k