Avg. Base Salary (USD)
The average salary for a Senior Technical Writer is $84,415
What is the Pay by Experience Level for Senior Technical Writers?
An early career Senior Technical Writer with 1-4 years of experience earns an average total compensation (includes tips, bonus, and overtime pay) of $73,854 based on 101 salaries. A mid-career Senior Technical Writer with 5-9 years of experience earns an average total compensation of $79,416 based on 283 salaries. An …Read more
What Do Senior Technical Writers Do?
Senior technical writers create detailed articles for magazines or online journals and publications in specialized fields, and may also write and edit technical operators' manuals and even certification tests. The senior-level designation normally implies that they handle the most important technical writing within a company, and they may also assign and edit the work of junior-level technical writers and review their submissions for accuracy.
Knowledge of subject matter is what separates a …Read more
- Organize, review, and write materials for clarity and message.
- Standardize documentation for layout, style, and language, and create templates and scripts to automate as possible.
- Work with project teams to create documentation for diverse groups.
- Track revisions and edits, and maintain files.
- Review and improve formatting and visual components, and select drawings and specifications.