Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) - Intermediate Salary
Job Description for Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) - Intermediate
Emergency medical technician (EMT) - intermediate - assess the medical needs of injured and/or sick patients and provide upfront, immediate care; as needed, they give priority those who are the most seriously in need of help. Duties performed by the EMT include cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR), opening a patient’s airway so they can breathe, and providing ventilation assistance. Other tasks performed by the EMT include treating wounds via bandaging, stabilizing broken bones, controlling bleeding, treating shock, and administering oxygen. The EMT may also assist in childbirth and assist people with mental crises that are in need of immediate medical assistance.Read More...
Additionally, the EMT notifies the hospital emergency department of the nature and extent of the medical treatment provided, giving needed information on the patient’s medical condition. EMTs are required to fill out reports so that the hospital staff can have a written description of the emergency procedure performed on the patient. They must also complete a written report for their employer.
EMTs often work long shifts - generally 12 hours in length - and the ability to maintain composure in high-stress situations is essential. EMTs (intermediate) must hold an EMT certificate from an accredited EMT training institution, as well as intermediate licensing. Previous experience in a similar role is generally needed as well at the intermediate level.
Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) - Intermediate Tasks
- Assess nature and extent of illness or injury to establish and prioritize medical procedures.
- Administer complex first-aid treatment and life-support care to sick or injured persons in prehospital setting.
- Maintain vehicles and medical and communication equipment, and replenish first-aid equipment and supplies.
- Coordinate work with other emergency medical team members and police and fire department personnel.
- Perform emergency diagnostic and treatment procedures, such as stomach suction, airway management or heart monitoring, during ambulance ride.
Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) - Intermediate Job Listings
Search for more jobs:
Pay by Experience Level for Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) - Intermediate
Median of all compensation (including tips, bonus, and overtime) by years of experience.
Related Job Salaries
Key Stats for Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) - Intermediate
Rated 4 out of 5
based on 14 votes.