Avg. Base Hourly Rate (AUD)
The average hourly pay for a Chef Assistant is AU$21.94
What is the Pay by Experience Level for Chef Assistants?
An entry-level Chef Assistant with less than 1 year experience can expect to earn an average total compensation (includes tips, bonus, and overtime pay) of AU$19.66 based on 13 salaries. An early career Chef Assistant with 1-4 years of experience earns an average total compensation of AU$21.38 based on 68 salaries. A mid-career …Read more
What Do Chef Assistants Do?
A chef assistant works under the supervision of a chef at a restaurant, cafeteria, catering company, bakery or other food service establishment. The chef assistant often performs inventory and supply ordering duties, as well as assists in kitchen preparation so that the chef can more easily cook meals. These professionals must make sure the kitchen area and equipment are clean, safe and sanitized. Preparation duties performed by the chef assistant may include mixing, chopping and basic cooking. …Read more
- Assist in the planning of the menu and in the preparation of the meals for varying sized groups.
- Clean and/or insure the sanitary conditions and operating order of kitchen appliances, equipment, food storage areas and the kitchen itself.
- Purchase, verify quality and quantity of food and kitchen supplies required for daily activities and various functions.
- Estimate the amount and kind of food to be purchased, taking into account the nature of the function and the number of guests.
- Plan, budget, provision and maintain inventory.