The average hourly pay for a Chef Assistant in United Kingdom is £7.56.
Is Chef Assistant your job title? Find out what you should be paid
Use our tool to get a personalized report on your market worth.
£5 - £9
£0 - £250
£11,652 - £21,309
Your Market Worth Over Time
How has your pay changed over time for your market? Find out by taking our salary quiz.
Job Description for Chef Assistant
A chef assistant works under the supervision of a chef at a restaurant, cafeteria, catering company, bakery or other food service establishment. The chef assistant often performs inventory and supply ordering duties, as well as assists in kitchen preparation so that the chef can more easily cook meals. These professionals must make sure the kitchen area and equipment are clean, safe and sanitized. Preparation duties performed by the chef assistant may include mixing, chopping and basic cooking. …Read more
Chef Assistant Tasks
- Assist in the planning of the menu and in the preparation of the meals for varying sized groups.
- Clean and/or insure the sanitary conditions and operating order of kitchen appliances, equipment, food storage areas and the kitchen itself.
- Purchase, verify quality and quantity of food and kitchen supplies required for daily activities and various functions.
- Estimate the amount and kind of food to be purchased, taking into account the nature of the function and the number of guests.
- Plan, budget, provision and maintain inventory.
Chef Assistant Job Listings
Search for more jobs
Popular Skills for Chef Assistant
Avg. Hourly Rate
Skills in Food Preparation, Food Safety and Organizing are correlated to pay that is above average.
Pay by Experience Level for Chef Assistant
An entry-level Chef Assistant with less than 1 year experience can expect to earn an average total compensation (includes tips, bonus, and overtime pay) of £7.11 based on 6 salaries. An early career Chef Assistant with 1-4 years of experience earns an average total compensation of £7.22 based on 56 salaries. A mid-career Chef Assistant with 5-9 years of experience earns an average total compensation of £8.05 based on 16 salaries. An experienced Chef Assistant with 10-19 years of experience earns an average total compensation of £7.99 based on 9 salaries.
Pay Difference by Location
Learn more about cost of living by city.
Years of Experience
This data is based on 87 survey responses.