Avg. Base Hourly Rate (USD)
The average hourly pay for an Alteration Tailor is $16.10
What is the Pay by Experience Level for Alteration Tailors?
An early career Alteration Tailor with 1-4 years of experience earns an average total compensation (includes tips, bonus, and overtime pay) of $14.11 based on 22 salaries. A mid-career Alteration Tailor with 5-9 years of experience earns an average total compensation of $17.50 based on 12 salaries. An experienced Alteration …Read more
What Do Alteration Tailors Do?
Alteration tailors typically work for department stores, small businesses such as bridal stores, or independently to alter garments in accordance with clients' specifications. This may include shortening or lengthening sleeves or modifying or lowering collars or taper sides of garments, and it's also common to shorten or lengthen trousers. They must always ensure that clients' sizes are accurate and proper and maintain a clean and organized tailor shop, and they must also keep track of sewing …Read more
- Fit and study garments on customers to determine required alterations.
- Chalk garments using industry standard methods to indicate the alterations to be made.
- Let out or take in seams in suits and other garments to improve fit.
- Take up or let down hems to shorten or lengthen garment parts such as sleeves.
- Sew garments, using needles and thread or sewing machines.