Avg. Base Hourly Rate (USD)
The average hourly pay for an Authorization Specialist is $15.16
What Do Authorization Specialists Do?
An authorization specialist usually works for a company that deals with insurance claims, such as a hospital, automotive shop, or private medical practice. The authorization specialist will take insurance information from clients and will determine if authorization is necessary for the services that are needed.
The specialist may also collect any copay that is due from the patient, or he she may make payment arrangements. Then the authorization specialist will gather all the necessary …Read more
- Interview and assist patients with authorization documents, as appropriate.
- Maintain appropriate logs or reports according to professional, state and federal requirements.
- Monitor and track patient authorizations, informing supervisor of any expired dates.
- Ensure payment for services by verifying benefits with insurance provider.
- Obtain, review and input insurance authorization and referrals prior to patient services.