Avg. Base Salary (USD)
The average salary for a Cardiac Surgeon is $349,934
What is the Pay by Experience Level for Cardiac Surgeons?
An entry-level Cardiac Surgeon with less than 1 year experience can expect to earn an average total compensation (includes tips, bonus, and overtime pay) of $337,200 based on 9 salaries. An early career Cardiac Surgeon with 1-4 years of experience earns an average total compensation of $314,746 based on 39 salaries. A …Read more
What Do Cardiac Surgeons Do?
Cardiac surgeons are responsible for performing heart surgeries and other complex operations on patients with heart conditions. These surgeons must be organized and pay close attention to detail to facilitate surgeries, and they must work well in a team environment with other surgeons and medical professionals to complete all objectives under strict deadlines.
Cardiac surgeons must provide therapy recommendations for patients with arrhythmia and other heart illnesses and disturbances. They …Read more
- Provide operative, preoperative and critical care diagnosis, treatment and procedures for patients with pathological conditions of the chest.
- Communicate with families and patients regarding care plans and make referrals to other specialists as per the standard of care.
- Treat pathologic conditions of the lung, esophagus and chest wall, abnormalities of the great vessels, tumors of the mediastinum, and diseases of the diaphragm and pericardium.
- Treat complications of ischemic heart disease (for example, coronary artery bypass grafting), correct congenital heart disease, or treat valvular heart disease created by various causes including endocarditis.
- Provide surgical care of coronary artery disease, abnormalities of the great vessels and heart valves, congenital anomalies, tumors and diseases of the diaphragm.
How do Cardiac Surgeons Rate Their Jobs?
FAQs About Cardiac Surgeons
What is the highest pay for Cardiac Surgeons?
Our data indicates that the highest pay for a Cardiac Surgeon is $677k / year
What is the lowest pay for Cardiac Surgeons?
Our data indicates that the lowest pay for a Cardiac Surgeon is $93k / year
How can Cardiac Surgeons increase their salary?
Increasing your pay as a Cardiac Surgeon is possible in different ways. Change of employer: Consider a career move to a new employer that is willing to pay higher for your skills. Level of Education: Gaining advanced degrees may allow this role to increase their income potential and qualify for promotions. Managing Experience: If you are a Cardiac Surgeon that oversees more junior Cardiac Surgeons, this experience can increase the likelihood to earn more.