Avg. Base Salary (USD)
The average salary for a Cartographer is $57,221
What is the Pay by Experience Level for Cartographers?
An entry-level Cartographer with less than 1 year experience can expect to earn an average total compensation (includes tips, bonus, and overtime pay) of $41,956 based on 9 salaries. An early career Cartographer with 1-4 years of experience earns an average total compensation of $47,239 based on 45 salaries. A mid-career …Read more
What Do Cartographers Do?
While the old definition of the position of cartographer as a mapmaker still holds true, many of the routine aspects of this job have changed greatly with the advent of GPS technology. While a variety of employers may utilize the services of a cartographer, most commonly this employee can be found in businesses that work with logistics and require modern and up-to-date geospatial graphical representation for field employees working in surface, water, or air operations. The cartographer still …Read more
- Collect, document, and analyze geospatial data, photographs, historical maps, and text documentation.
- Define quality standards and annotation to indicate quality of data used in map creation.
- Build and maintain geographical information databases.
- Create, maintain, and update visual representations of cartographic data.
- Create representations of specified terrain or areas by integrating collected data at a specified scale.