Avg. Base Salary (USD)
The average salary for a Chief Engineer is $95,346
What is the Pay by Experience Level for Chief Engineers?
An experienced Chief Engineer with 10-19 years of experience earns an average total compensation (includes tips, bonus, and overtime pay) of $81,477 based on 9 salaries. In their late career (20 years and higher), employees earn an average total compensation of $97,229.
What Do Chief Engineers Do?
The chief engineer is generally in charge of building, maintenance, and repairs needed on-site. This position is often a supervisory role, in which the chief engineer works with maintenance subordinates and delegates tasks. Some of the duties of the chief engineer include purchasing materials or equipment, fulfilling budget requirements when ordering supplies, and keeping stock of necessary inventory. The chief engineer must work closely with other managers or supervisors to ensure …Read more
- Supervise engineering department staff and operations, and provide technical leadership and mentoring from quotation to execution.
- Secure internal, external, and customer funding and assist in the development, preparation, and implementation of operating and capital budgets, and control of expenditures.
- Ensure quality assurance for facility and its services.
- Operate, maintain, and repair equipment and machinery.
- Develop designs, specifications, and/or software of new product development projects.