Avg. Base Hourly Rate (USD)
The average hourly pay for a Dental Assistant is $15.45
What is the Pay by Experience Level for Dental Assistants?
An entry-level Dental Assistant with less than 1 year experience can expect to earn an average total compensation (includes tips, bonus, and overtime pay) of $12.21 based on 5 salaries. An early career Dental Assistant with 1-4 years of experience earns an average total compensation of $14.37 based on 10 salaries. A mid-career …Read more
What Do Dental Assistants Do?
A dental assistant's duties include hands-on work with dental patients, assisting the dentist, and/or performing clerical functions in a dental clinic. Depending on an individual’s certification and goals, any of these are possible job tasks. If an individual would like hands-on work in the dentist’s office, their duties may include prepping the patient for a particular operation; this particular duty would involve knowledge of the teeth and most dental procedures. The dental assistant would …Read more
- Take and develop patient x-rays, including digital (if certified).
- Sterilize instruments and equipment.
- Teach patients how to practice good oral hygiene.
- Assist dentist during dental treatment procedures.
- Maintain office records and supplies and schedule appointments.