Avg. Base Hourly Rate (USD)
The average hourly pay for a Direct Support Professional is $11.67
What is the Pay by Experience Level for Direct Support Professionals?
An entry-level Direct Support Professional with less than 1 year experience can expect to earn an average total compensation (includes tips, bonus, and overtime pay) of $10.66 based on 6 salaries. An early career Direct Support Professional with 1-4 years of experience earns an average total compensation of $11.69 based on 44 …Read more
What Do Direct Support Professionals Do?
Direct support professionals perform a number of tasks to aid people with disabilities, providing encouragement and instructions on specific tasks the individuals struggle with due to their disabilities. Most direct support professionals are expected to document their interactions with clients - as well as any changes they notice - so the care team may learn and develop strategies. Often, they communicate with external parties on issues related to the client's care. For example, some clients …Read more
- Maintain records of patient care, progress, or problems to report and discuss observations with supervisor or case manager.
- Administer or supervise self-administration of medication.
- Foster increased community and social integration.
- Support the development of behavioral and social skills.
- Provide assistance with daily tasks including personal care, transportation, health maintenance, and household chores.