Avg. Base Salary (USD)
The average salary for an Elementary School Principal is $68,073
What is the Pay by Experience Level for Elementary School Principals?
An early career Elementary School Principal with 1-4 years of experience earns an average total compensation (includes tips, bonus, and overtime pay) of $73,586 based on 150 salaries. A mid-career Elementary School Principal with 5-9 years of experience earns an average total compensation of $82,519 based on 123 salaries. An …Read more
What Do Elementary School Principals Do?
Elementary school principals must almost always have a master’s degree in education or a related field. Some employers prefer that candidates possess a PhD in Education or Educational Leadership. Some positions require a principal’s certification and/or license.
They must have leadership and interpersonal skills. They must have work experience in supervising and evaluating staff. They must have experience working in the educational field. They must perform teachers’ evaluations in a …Read more
- Oversee school administration, curriculum, programs, services, and resources.
- Communicate school goals, vision, and needs to teachers, parents, the community, and school board.
- Establish academic and behavioral standards for students and administer student discipline.
- Ensure compliance with all laws, implement emergency plans, and establish safety regulations.
- Hire, supervise, and evaluate school teaching staff, administrative staff, kitchen staff, and custodians.