Avg. Base Salary (USD)
The average salary for a Fashion Designer is $65,664
What is the Pay by Experience Level for Fashion Designers?
An entry-level Fashion Designer with less than 1 year experience can expect to earn an average total compensation (includes tips, bonus, and overtime pay) of $50,799 based on 44 salaries. An early career Fashion Designer with 1-4 years of experience earns an average total compensation of $56,868 based on 422 salaries. A …Read more
What Do Fashion Designers Do?
A fashion designer creates designs for items like clothing, shoes, and accessories. Prior to creating a prototype, the designer will create a sketch of the clothing. Usually, this clothing concept will then be presented to management, who will approve the clothing so that a prototype can be created. The fashion designer will often be expected to have sewing skills, in order to create the first clothing example. When the design is handed over to a factory or other clothing producer, the designer …Read more
- Draw patterns and specifications for articles of clothing, determining factors such as design, colors, materials, and methods of production.
- Promote designs by displaying samples of clothing at sales meetings and fashion shows.
- Follow fashion trends by researching customer preferences, attending fashion shows, and reading fashion publications.
- Develop design ideas based on targeted demographic and preferences of management or clients.
- Supervise assistants creating patterns and producing samples of articles of clothing.