The average hourly pay for an Experienced General Contractor in Los Angeles, California is $50.00.
Is General Contractor your job title? Get a personalized salary report!
$25 - $59
$50,418 - $132,767
Your Market Worth Over Time
How has your pay changed over time for your market? Find out by taking our salary quiz.
Job Description for General Contractor
A general contractor oversees a variety of construction projects. Normally, the contractor is called in when someone wants to create a new building for business or residential purposes; however, contractors may also work in remodeling and renovation of existing structures as well. The general contractor assesses the work to be done and directs various construction crews to accomplish these tasks. One of the chief skills of a general contractor is an ability to accurately estimate the costs of …Read more
General Contractor Tasks
- Generate cost estimates for labor, materials, equipment, and permits necessary to complete a project.
- Plan and manage a construction project, coordinating labor, materials, and equipment, hire and supervise subcontractors.
- Make sure all government regulations are followed, proper permits are obtained, and required inspections carried out.
- Monitor project progress to ensure it stays on time and within budget.
- Negotiate contract terms with clients and work with clients and architects to create project plans.
Explore the most common career paths for General Contractor. Thickness and color of lines indicates popularity of movement from one job to the next. Visit our career path planner to research other job paths.
More common (> 20%)
Somewhat common (8 - 20%)
Less common (< 8%)
General Contractor Job Listings
Pay by Experience Level for General Contractor
A mid-career General Contractor with 5-9 years of experience earns an average total compensation (includes tips, bonus, and overtime pay) of $45.00 based on 7 salaries. In their late career (20 years and higher), employees earn an average total compensation of $57.
Pay Difference by Location
Learn more about cost of living by city.
Employees with General Contractor in their job title in San Francisco, California earn an average of 35.0% more than the national average. The lowest salaries can be found in Buffalo, New York (49.2% less), Dallas, Texas (40.0% less) and Portland, Oregon (39.0% less).
Years of Experience
This data is based on 28 survey responses.
Related Job Salaries
$12 - $29
$16 - $42
$17 - $41
$16 - $44
$14 - $34
$17 - $50
$20 - $42
$19 - $46
$17 - $49