The average salary for an Experienced General Contractor in New York, New York is $100,000.
Is General Contractor your job title? Find out what you should be paid
Use our tool to get a personalized report on your market worth.What's this?
$0 - $100k
$68k - $127k
Your Market Worth Over Time
How has your pay changed over time for your market? Find out by taking our salary quiz.
Job Description for General Contractor
A general contractor oversees a variety of construction projects. Normally, the contractor is called in when someone wants to create a new building for business or residential purposes; however, contractors may also work in remodeling and renovation of existing structures as well. The general contractor assesses the work to be done and directs various construction crews to accomplish these tasks. One of the chief skills of a general contractor is an ability to accurately estimate the costs of …Read more
General Contractor Tasks
- Generate cost estimates for labor, materials, equipment, and permits necessary to complete a project.
- Plan and manage a construction project, coordinating labor, materials, and equipment, hire and supervise subcontractors.
- Make sure all government regulations are followed, proper permits are obtained, and required inspections carried out.
- Monitor project progress to ensure it stays on time and within budget.
- Negotiate contract terms with clients and work with clients and architects to create project plans.
General Contractor Job Listings
Search for more jobs
Pay by Experience Level for General Contractor
A mid-career General Contractor with 5-9 years of experience earns an average total compensation (includes tips, bonus, and overtime pay) of $55,000 based on 5 salaries. In their late career (20 years and higher), employees earn an average total compensation of $225,000.
Pay Difference by Location
Learn more about cost of living by city.
Employees with .NET Software Developer / Programmer in these locations earn less than the national average. The lowest salaries can be found in Portland, Oregon (48.5% less), Buffalo, New York (42.0% less) and Sacramento, California (36.9% less).
Years of Experience
This data is based on 17 survey responses.
Related Job Salaries
$12 - $30
$16 - $42
$17 - $42
$16 - $44
$14 - $34
$18 - $50
$20 - $42
$19 - $46
$12 - $28