Avg. Base Salary (USD)
The average salary for a Guidance Counselor is $52,814
What is the Pay by Experience Level for Guidance Counselors?
An entry-level Guidance Counselor with less than 1 year experience can expect to earn an average total compensation (includes tips, bonus, and overtime pay) of $44,187 based on 23 salaries. An early career Guidance Counselor with 1-4 years of experience earns an average total compensation of $49,844 based on 109 salaries. A …Read more
What Do Guidance Counselors Do?
As a key member of a middle school or high school’s faculty and advisement staff, the guidance counselor plays a key role with assisting students in achieving their educational goals. Guidance counselors assist students in choosing appropriate class scheduling, and they must be familiar with any academic tracks and prerequisites a school system has in place. They should be able to assess individual students using test scores, reports, and one-on-one conversations to best assist the needs of …Read more
- Observe and evaluate children during classroom and play activities.
- Maintain student records as required by law, district and administrative regulations.
- Help students to understand and deal with social, behavioral and personal problems.
- Evaluate student abilities, interest and talents to develop academic and career goals.
- Coordinate special need services.