The average salary for a Head Nurse is $69,926.
Is Head Nurse your job title? Get a personalized salary report!
$46k - $100k
$295 - $5k
$0 - $3k
$49k - $101k
Your Market Worth Over Time
How has your pay changed over time for your market? Find out by taking our salary quiz.
Job Description for Head Nurse
The head nurse is responsible for overseeing patients and other nursing staff within their unit over the course of their shift. Nurses in the unit report to the head nurse and consult them if there is a problem or general guidance is needed. Tasks performed by the head nurse include carrying out doctors' orders in terms of patient care, evaluating patients' needs and responses to treatments, discussing treatment options with patients and conducting other duties related to patient care. Additiona…Read more
Head Nurse Tasks
- Evaluate and assess nursing needs of the client.
- Observe signs and symptoms and report to the physician and/or other appropriate health professionals as often as needed, or upon changes in the client's condition.
- Initiate diagnostic, preventive and rehabilitative nursing procedures as appropriate to the client's care and safety.
- Attend client care conferences and initiate client care conferences for complex and/or multidisciplinary clients whenever needed.
- Coordinate the total plan of care and maintain continuity of client care by acting as a liaison with other health professionals assigned to the same clients.
Explore the most common career paths for Head Nurse. Thickness and color of lines indicates popularity of movement from one job to the next. Visit our career path planner to research other job paths.
More common (> 20%)
Somewhat common (8 - 20%)
Less common (< 8%)
Head Nurse Job Listings
Popular Skills for Head Nurse
Medicine / Surgery
Skills in Organizational Development and Critical Care are correlated to pay that is above average. Skills that pay less than market rate include Case Management, Surgery and Medicine / Surgery.
Pay by Experience Level for Head Nurse
An early career Head Nurse with 1-4 years of experience earns an average total compensation (includes tips, bonus, and overtime pay) of $63,000 based on 22 salaries. A mid-career Head Nurse with 5-9 years of experience earns an average total compensation of $67,229 based on 27 salaries. An experienced Head Nurse with 10-19 years of experience earns an average total compensation of $75,076 based on 34 salaries. In their late career (20 years and higher), employees earn an average total compensation of $83,749.
Years of Experience
This data is based on 105 survey responses.
Related Job Salaries
$42k - $88k
$19k - $41k
$30k - $71k
$33k - $70k
$30k - $58k
$56k - $89k
$52k - $103k
$32k - $66k
$39k - $77k
$28k - $55k