The average salary for an Investment Banker is $99,008.
Is Investment Banker your job title? Find out what you should be paid
Use our tool to get a personalized report on your market worth.
$54k - $207k
$5k - $174k
$103 - $193k
$49k - $102k
$58k - $320k
Your Market Worth Over Time
How has your pay changed over time for your market? Find out by taking our salary quiz.
Job Description for Investment Banker
When companies, organizations, or government entities need to raise capital, one of the best ways to do so is to turn to the services of an investment banker. Investment bankers are the highly skilled professionals at financial institutions who examine an entity's financial health, capital needs, and goals. Then they recommend a strategy to improve or manifest them. The investment banker then acts as a go-between for the organization looking to raise money and those looking to make financial inv…Read more
Investment Banker Tasks
- Assist companies, organizations, governments and their agencies in raising public or private money through debt and/or equity.
- Construct fully integrated, detailed financial models to support Merger and Acquisitions (M&A) transactions and Financial Planning and Analysis (FP&A) communications.
- Perform valuation analyses using various methodologies such as trading and transaction comparisons (comps), discounted cash flow and leveraged buyout (LBOs).
- Conduct industry and company research to engage clients and develop new business.
- Participate and manage all stages of the transaction process from opening pitch to closing investment contract(s).
Job Satisfaction for Investment Banker
Popular Employer Salaries for Investment Banker
Investment Banker Job Listings
Search for more jobs
Popular Skills for Investment Banker
Mergers and Acquisitions
Skills that pay less than market rate include Banking, Investment Management, Mergers and Acquisitions, Financial Modeling and Financial Analysis.
Pay by Experience Level for Investment Banker
An entry-level Investment Banker with less than 1 year experience can expect to earn an average total compensation (includes tips, bonus, and overtime pay) of $75,872 based on 29 salaries. An early career Investment Banker with 1-4 years of experience earns an average total compensation of $91,884 based on 132 salaries. A mid-career Investment Banker with 5-9 years of experience earns an average total compensation of $122,423 based on 48 salaries. An experienced Investment Banker with 10-19 years of experience earns an average total compensation of $146,435 based on 55 salaries. In their late career (20 years and higher), employees earn an average total compensation of $134,498.
Pay Difference by Location
Learn more about cost of living by city.
Employees with Investment Banker in their job title in San Francisco, California earn an average of 26.3% more than the national average. These job titles also find higher than average salaries in Houston, Texas (18.7% more) and New York, New York (9.1% more). The lowest salaries can be found in Chicago, Illinois (21.8% less) and Seattle, Washington (19.2% less).
Years of Experience
This data is based on 285 survey responses.