The average hourly pay for a Machinist in Tempe, Arizona is $17.49.
Tell us about your job and pay factors like skills and education Find your market worth with a report tailored to you Negotiate your pay with confidence
What Do Machinists Do?
Machinists make parts and sometimes their own tools in order to build or create larger things. Machinists are often in a factory or manufacturing setting, but not always. Manufacturing experience is important. The Machinist must be capable of working with a variety of tools in sometimes inhospitable conditions. Tools of the trade may include hand tools, cutting tools, measuring tools and machine tools. Machinists must be capable of making their own tools and parts. They also need to be expe…Read more
- Calculate dimensions and tolerances using knowledge of mathematics and instruments.
- Select, align, and secure holding fixtures, cutting tools, attachments, accessories, and materials on machines.
- Operate various types of machine tools to perform progressive machining.
- Measure, examine, and test completed units to detect defects and ensure conformance to specifications.
- Detect malfunctions or out-of-tolerance machining and adjust machine controls as necessary.
What Are Popular Skills for Machinists?
Skills in Precision Machining and CNC/NC are correlated to pay that is above average. Skills that pay less than market rate include Machine Operation.
What is the Pay by Experience Level for Machinists?
An early career Machinist with 1-4 years of experience earns an average total compensation (includes tips, bonus, and overtime pay) of $15.72 based on 5 salaries. A mid-career Machinist with 5-9 years of experience earns an average total compensation of $18.50 based on 5 salaries.
Pay Difference by Location
Employees with Machinist in their job title in Seattle, Washington earn an average of 37.5% more than the national average. These job titles also find higher than average salaries in Minneapolis, Minnesota (26.8% more) and Houston, Texas (19.7% more).
Years of Experience
This data is based on 10 survey responses.
More Cities for Machinist