Avg. Base Salary (USD)
The average salary for a Mathematician is $79,400 in 2023
What is the Pay by Experience Level for Mathematicians?
An entry-level Mathematician with less than 1 year experience can expect to earn an average total compensation (includes tips, bonus, and overtime pay) of $72,380 based on 29 salaries. An early career Mathematician with 1-4 years of experience earns an average total compensation of $77,485 based on 84 salaries. A mid-career …Read more
What Do Mathematicians Do?
The career of a mathematician centers on performing advanced mathematical equations (often with computers and using complex software) to theorize and understand mathematical principles and, in turn, solve real-world problems. A common misconception about mathematicians is that they work only with integers; however, they also work with more abstract structures such as rings in the algebraic number theory. Applying theories to shapes and geometry is just one example of a particular skill that …Read more
- Conduct mathematical research to expand the knowledge base of traditional areas of math, such as algebra, geometry, and logic.
- Act as the lead advisor or expert in the application of mathematical analysis to resolve scientific or engineering issues.
- Design and development computational methods for solving problems in science, engineering, or other industries.
- Perform computations and numerical analyses of data.
- Apply mathematical theories to practical problems in a variety of settings and fields.
How do Mathematicians Rate Their Jobs?
FAQs About Mathematicians
What is the highest pay for Mathematicians?
Our data indicates that the highest pay for a Mathematician is $135k / year
What is the lowest pay for Mathematicians?
Our data indicates that the lowest pay for a Mathematician is $52k / year
How can Mathematicians increase their salary?
Increasing your pay as a Mathematician is possible in different ways. Change of employer: Consider a career move to a new employer that is willing to pay higher for your skills. Level of Education: Gaining advanced degrees may allow this role to increase their income potential and qualify for promotions. Managing Experience: If you are a Mathematician that oversees more junior Mathematicians, this experience can increase the likelihood to earn more.