Avg. Base Salary (USD)
The average salary for a Mathematician is $69,110
What is the Pay by Experience Level for Mathematicians?
An early career Mathematician with 1-4 years of experience earns an average total compensation (includes tips, bonus, and overtime pay) of $70,792 based on 17 salaries. A mid-career Mathematician with 5-9 years of experience earns an average total compensation of $107,349 based on 6 salaries. An experienced Mathematician with …Read more
What Do Mathematicians Do?
The career of a mathematician centers on performing advanced mathematical equations (often with computers and using complex software) to theorize and understand mathematical principles and, in turn, solve real-world problems. A common misconception about mathematicians is that they work only with integers; however, they also work with more abstract structures such as rings in the algebraic number theory. Applying theories to shapes and geometry is just one example of a particular skill that …Read more
- Conduct mathematical research to expand the knowledge base of traditional areas of math, such as algebra, geometry, and logic.
- Act as the lead advisor or expert in the application of mathematical analysis to resolve scientific or engineering issues.
- Design and development computational methods for solving problems in science, engineering, or other industries.
- Perform computations and numerical analyses of data.
- Apply mathematical theories to practical problems in a variety of settings and fields.