The average salary for an Experienced Patent Attorney with Intellectual Property (IP) skills is $166,858.
Is Patent Attorney your job title? Get a personalized salary report!
$117k - $233k
$4k - $53k
$3k - $59k
$121k - $266k
Your Market Worth Over Time
How has your pay changed over time for your market? Find out by taking our salary quiz.
Job Description for Patent Attorney
A patent attorney works in a company to ensure that its patents adhere to standard protocols and are defended against infringements. The position requires the candidate to have a law degree and to have passed the bar exam in the state in which the company is located. Additionally, certain companies look for lawyers who have studied engineering, biological, or other technology-related fields. One responsibility of a patent attorney is to analyze all current company products (either released or i…Read more
Patent Attorney Tasks
- Discuss invention and research the likelihood of successfully attaining a patent.
- Litigates patent infringement controversies in court.
- Works with federal patent examiners to resolve any patent related issues.
- Describe inventions in strict legal terms and drafts patent application; challenge, negotiate, resolve and amend contested patent areas.
- Analyze scientific and technical documents previously granted patents to determine if invention is new, innovative and does not infringe upon patented items.
Explore the most common career paths for Patent Attorney. Thickness and color of lines indicates popularity of movement from one job to the next. Visit our career path planner to research other job paths.
More common (> 20%)
Somewhat common (8 - 20%)
Less common (< 8%)
Patent Attorney Job Listings
Search for more jobs
Popular Skills for Patent Attorney
Skills in Prosecution, Technical Analysis and Biotechnology are correlated to pay that is above average.
Pay by Experience Level for Patent Attorney
An entry-level Patent Attorney with less than 1 year experience can expect to earn an average total compensation (includes tips, bonus, and overtime pay) of $96,931 based on 23 salaries. An early career Patent Attorney with 1-4 years of experience earns an average total compensation of $123,664 based on 134 salaries. A mid-career Patent Attorney with 5-9 years of experience earns an average total compensation of $152,236 based on 111 salaries. In their late career (20 years and higher), employees earn an average total compensation of $176,723.
Years of Experience
This data is based on 315 survey responses.