The average salary for a Patent Attorney with Intellectual Property (IP) skills in Durham, North Carolina is $127,600.
Is Patent Attorney your job title? Find out what you should be paid
Use our tool to get a personalized report on your market worth.
$0 - $128k
$0 - $128k
Your Market Worth Over Time
How has your pay changed over time for your market? Find out by taking our salary quiz.
Job Description for Patent Attorney
A patent attorney works in a company to ensure that its patents adhere to standard protocols and are defended against infringements. The position requires the candidate to have a law degree and to have passed the bar exam in the state in which the company is located. Additionally, certain companies look for lawyers who have studied engineering, biological, or other technology-related fields. One responsibility of a patent attorney is to analyze all current company products (either released or i…Read more
Patent Attorney Tasks
- Discuss invention and research the likelihood of successfully attaining a patent.
- Litigates patent infringement controversies in court.
- Works with federal patent examiners to resolve any patent related issues.
- Describe inventions in strict legal terms and drafts patent application; challenge, negotiate, resolve and amend contested patent areas.
- Analyze scientific and technical documents previously granted patents to determine if invention is new, innovative and does not infringe upon patented items.
Patent Attorney Job Listings
Search for more jobs
Pay Difference by Location
Learn more about cost of living by city.
Employees with Patent Attorney in their job title in Chicago, Illinois earn an average of 31.0% more than the national average. These job titles also find higher than average salaries in San Francisco, California (29.2% more) and Boston, Massachusetts (23.8% more). The lowest salaries can be found in Los Angeles, California (16.5% less) and Cleveland, Ohio (2.0% less).
Years of Experience
This data is based on 11 survey responses.