The average salary for an Entry-Level Penetration Tester is $66,965.
Is Penetration Tester your job title? Find out what you should be paid
Use our tool to get a personalized report on your market worth.
$48k - $91k
$128 - $9k
$2k - $5k
$42k - $96k
Your Market Worth Over Time
How has your pay changed over time for your market? Find out by taking our salary quiz.
Job Description for Penetration Tester
The integrity of internal systems connected with the wider Internet is crucial to the operations of many organizations, from financial institutions to health care companies to government agencies. Organizations often employ cybersecurity experts to help protect their vital systems from malicious attacks. One of the basic tasks that must be accomplished to secure a system is to find where vulnerabilities exist. The penetration tester uses a wide variety of tools (some of which may be self-constru…Read more
Penetration Tester Tasks
- Conduct IT/Cyber Security assessments / penetration tests (hands-on work), as an individual, self-managed tester, or in small project teams.
- Work with customers to determine their need for security assessments, present and explain the employed methodology, and support them with feedback and verification during mitigation.
- Document findings for management and technical staff and recommend mitigating actions.
- Follow industry best practice methodologies for penetration testing, and be able to use tools for a basis level assessment.
- Search for security vulnerabilities in web applications, fat/thin client applications, and standard applications, and assess the secure configuration of operating systems and network devices.
Penetration Tester Job Listings
Search for more jobs
Popular Skills for Penetration Tester
Network Security Management
Web Security & Encryption
Skills in Network Security Management and Web Security & Encryption are correlated to pay that is above average. Skills that pay less than market rate include Cyber Security, Penetration Testing and Security Testing and Auditing.
Pay by Experience Level for Penetration Tester
An early career Penetration Tester with 1-4 years of experience earns an average total compensation (includes tips, bonus, and overtime pay) of $77,199 based on 358 salaries. A mid-career Penetration Tester with 5-9 years of experience earns an average total compensation of $102,648 based on 163 salaries. An experienced Penetration Tester with 10-19 years of experience earns an average total compensation of $116,747 based on 102 salaries. In their late career (20 years and higher), employees earn an average total compensation of $117,686.
Pay Difference by Location
Learn more about cost of living by city.
Years of Experience
This data is based on 653 survey responses.
Related Job Salaries
$60k - $125k
$50k - $107k
$53k - $132k
$60k - $129k
$44k - $87k
$83k - $153k
$47k - $99k
$51k - $117k
$78k - $149k
$50k - $104k