Avg. Base Salary (USD)
The average salary for a Penetration Tester is $86,034
What is the Pay by Experience Level for Penetration Testers?
An entry-level Penetration Tester with less than 1 year experience can expect to earn an average total compensation (includes tips, bonus, and overtime pay) of $67,840 based on 67 salaries. An early career Penetration Tester with 1-4 years of experience earns an average total compensation of $79,933 based on 322 salaries. A …Read more
What Do Penetration Testers Do?
The integrity of internal systems connected with the wider Internet is crucial to the operations of many organizations, from financial institutions to health care companies to government agencies. Organizations often employ cybersecurity experts to help protect their vital systems from malicious attacks. One of the basic tasks that must be accomplished to secure a system is to find where vulnerabilities exist. The penetration tester uses a wide variety of tools (some of which may be …Read more
- Conduct IT/Cyber Security assessments / penetration tests (hands-on work), as an individual, self-managed tester, or in small project teams.
- Work with customers to determine their need for security assessments, present and explain the employed methodology, and support them with feedback and verification during mitigation.
- Document findings for management and technical staff and recommend mitigating actions.
- Follow industry best practice methodologies for penetration testing, and be able to use tools for a basis level assessment.
- Search for security vulnerabilities in web applications, fat/thin client applications, and standard applications, and assess the secure configuration of operating systems and network devices.