The average salary for a Penetration Tester in Chicago, Illinois is $94,600.
Tell us about your job and pay factors like skills and education Find your market worth with a report tailored to you Negotiate your pay with confidence
What Do Penetration Testers Do?
The integrity of internal systems connected with the wider Internet is crucial to the operations of many organizations, from financial institutions to health care companies to government agencies. Organizations often employ cybersecurity experts to help protect their vital systems from malicious attacks. One of the basic tasks that must be accomplished to secure a system is to find where vulnerabilities exist. The penetration tester uses a wide variety of tools (some of which may be self-constru…Read more
Penetration Tester Tasks
- Conduct IT/Cyber Security assessments / penetration tests (hands-on work), as an individual, self-managed tester, or in small project teams.
- Work with customers to determine their need for security assessments, present and explain the employed methodology, and support them with feedback and verification during mitigation.
- Document findings for management and technical staff and recommend mitigating actions.
- Follow industry best practice methodologies for penetration testing, and be able to use tools for a basis level assessment.
- Search for security vulnerabilities in web applications, fat/thin client applications, and standard applications, and assess the secure configuration of operating systems and network devices.
Popular Employer Salaries for Penetration Tester
Penetration Tester Job Listings
What Are Popular Skills for Penetration Testers?
Skills in Security Testing and Auditing and Web Security & Encryption are correlated to pay that is above average. Skills that pay less than market rate include Network Security Management, Cyber Security and Penetration Testing.
What is the Pay by Experience Level for Penetration Testers?
An early career Penetration Tester with 1-4 years of experience earns an average total compensation (includes tips, bonus, and overtime pay) of $82,424 based on 14 salaries. A mid-career Penetration Tester with 5-9 years of experience earns an average total compensation of $100,369 based on 11 salaries.
Pay Difference by Location
Employees with Penetration Tester in their job title in Washington, District of Columbia earn an average of 16.3% more than the national average. These job titles also find higher than average salaries in Arlington, Virginia (14.0% more) and Dallas, Texas (3.0% more). The lowest salaries can be found in Salt Lake City, Utah (44.5% less), New York, New York (17.9% less) and Atlanta, Georgia (9.6% less).
Years of Experience
This data is based on 25 survey responses.
More Cities for Penetration Tester