The average salary for a Penetration Tester with Vulnerability Assessment skills is $84,566.
Tell us about your job and pay factors like skills and education Find your market worth with a report tailored to you Negotiate your pay with confidence
What Do Penetration Testers Do?
The integrity of internal systems connected with the wider Internet is crucial to the operations of many organizations, from financial institutions to health care companies to government agencies. Organizations often employ cybersecurity experts to help protect their vital systems from malicious attacks. One of the basic tasks that must be accomplished to secure a system is to find where vulnerabilities exist. The penetration tester uses a wide variety of tools (some of which may be self-constru…Read more
Penetration Tester Tasks
- Conduct IT/Cyber Security assessments / penetration tests (hands-on work), as an individual, self-managed tester, or in small project teams.
- Work with customers to determine their need for security assessments, present and explain the employed methodology, and support them with feedback and verification during mitigation.
- Document findings for management and technical staff and recommend mitigating actions.
- Follow industry best practice methodologies for penetration testing, and be able to use tools for a basis level assessment.
- Search for security vulnerabilities in web applications, fat/thin client applications, and standard applications, and assess the secure configuration of operating systems and network devices.
Penetration Tester Job Listings
What Are Popular Skills for Penetration Testers?
Skills in Security Testing and Auditing, Penetration Testing and Cyber Security are correlated to pay that is above average. Skills that pay less than market rate include Network Security Management and Web Security & Encryption.
What is the Pay by Experience Level for Penetration Testers?
An entry-level Penetration Tester with less than 1 year experience can expect to earn an average total compensation (includes tips, bonus, and overtime pay) of $66,000 based on 6 salaries. An early career Penetration Tester with 1-4 years of experience earns an average total compensation of $76,862 based on 47 salaries. A mid-career Penetration Tester with 5-9 years of experience earns an average total compensation of $103,828 based on 18 salaries. An experienced Penetration Tester with 10-19 years of experience earns an average total compensation of $145,000 based on 7 salaries.
Years of Experience
This data is based on 78 survey responses.